Sunday, October 2, 2011

Laurel Burch Project

This week my classes did a project copying the style of artist Laurel Burch. She was a popular modern artist who passed away in 2007. You may have seen her work on purses, fabrics and magnets or giftwear. She is well known for her unique cats and bright style. (See first picture.) She was born with osteoporosis and commented that, "My bone disease was my gift." She left home at the age of 14 and supported herself with babysitting, house cleaning and cooking. She began making handmade jewelry of bones, coins and found beads. People bought the pieces as she wore them and began to collect them. Then she began to paint. She was a self-taugh artist. This project came from here: http://www.artprojectsforkids.org/2008/01/laurel-burch-cat-heads.html



The kids did a great job on this project. I loved all the cat faces and fun colors. I think the kids did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment