Sunday, February 8, 2009

Advent Meditations

Each year, our little country church does a book of Advent Meditations by our members. This is my 2008 contribution, slightly edited.

"Ungrateful "
Advent Meditation book 2008

Ever since we were married, I had wanted diamond earrings as a gift from my husband. For various reasons, I never got them. One Christmas, I had a 3-month-old baby, a post-partum body and 5 other kids. My husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Through somewhat gritted teeth, I replied ominously, “Gratitude and romance.”

Christmas morning came, with a flurry of presents being unwrapped. Husband kept asking the kids, “Are we done with the presents?” He wanted the last present opened to be the one he had gotten for me. I opened the small blue box he gave me, and there were my diamond earrings! After 20-some years, I had gotten what I wanted, and he had surprised me and made me feel loved, too. I was grateful.

Later, I found out that the little blue box was from Wal Mart. Somehow, that fact drained a lot of the romance out of the earrings for me. I tried not to tell him I cared, but I DID care, and I finally even told him so. Now he felt bad too, and there was trouble between us. And I was no longer grateful.

Within a few days, we went to a doctor’s appointment together, and met an acquaintance there. This lady had a child the same age as one of ours, and we teased her about when they were having another. “I think we know each other well enough to share this with you,” she said. Then she told us that her husband had been a recovered drug addict when they were married. For some reason, he had relapsed after their baby was born, and also drank. At their worst point, he had chased her and the baby with a loaded gun. Now they were divorced.

After the appointment, Husband and I went to the car, got in and just sat in our seats in silence. After awhile, I turned to him, and with tears running down my cheeks, I said, “I love my earrings.” And at that moment, I truly did. It no longer mattered where he had gotten them. Now I was truly grateful for what his gift represented-a thoughtful, loving, faithful, husband/friend.

Of course, it should never have mattered where he had gotten them, but it did. I was not grateful for his love and care. In my mind, it did not measure up to what I expected or needed. But when my attitude and view changed, my feelings also shifted. Sometimes it takes us awhile to learn that we can decide to be grateful or happy or loving.

So may years ago, God sent his Son in an unlikely package. It was not what we expected of a Savior, a King, a Son of God. And we were ungrateful. We did not realize the love and sacrifice He had made for us. We were even so blind that when Jesus grew up, we killed Him. And yet, He still loved us-enough to die for us.

God, Let us remember to be truly thankful and grateful during this Advent season for all the love and care you showed us through sending your Son. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment