Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Three Mothers


I have been blessed with three mothers. There are many other mothers that I have observed and admired over the years, but these three are my very own.

My Mom was raised on a ranch on the isolated Midwest prairies, 40 miles from almost everything. She went to a one-room schoolhouse, and was the only one in her own class for 12 years. She had four brothers and one baby sister, (who was born only after Mom left home for nurses training. Midlife babies are a recurring theme in our family.) Her dad was a rancher and her mom a homemaker and occasional schoolteacher. Mom met Dad while at school on the other end of the state, and they were married in 1955, when she was 20 and he was 23. They had 5 children and farmed together for 40 years before retiring.

My Mother (In-Law) was raised on a farm in the eastern part of our state, near a "big" town. She had three brothers and a younger sister. Her dad farmed and her mom was a homemaker. She was in 4-H where she met my father-in-law while in high school. They were married when she was 18 and he was 19. They raised 6 kids and farmed their whole lives together, until he passed away from brain cancer at age 63. She still lives on the farm. She has been my Mother for 28 years now, with never a cross or bossy word from her.

My Spare Mother, Lois, was raised on a farm with many siblings. She and my "Uncle" Ralph have been in my life since before I was born. They introduced my parents to each other on a blind date. They raised 2 sons on a farm, and in a small town, while farming and trucking for a living.

My mothers all have much in common. One of the most important things they share is the ingrained desire to serve others. This is a natural expression of how they were raised, the culture they were raised in, and their personal faiths. They have each given much to this world in their quiet, steady service.

My Mom served by raising 5 children as well as 30 foster children. She and Dad were foster parents during the first 35 years or so of their marriage. Mom also taught Sunday school, Bible School and women's Bible studies. She cooked homemade meals three to five times a day, for years, on the farm. She entertained friends, family, visitors and church groups with style and grace. The sheer weight of her daily schedule at home would have laid me low, but she did it like "The Little Engine That Could". She was invaluable in helping me with my three oldest kids when we lived close to each other. I enjoyed freedom and peace of mind whenever she babysat. She now volunteers at her local hospital and for her local home school group's weekly 2-year-old class. (None of the kids in that home school group are her "real" grand kids, but her beloved, well-populated neighbor family is in it, so she helps.)

My Mother (in-law) served by raising 6 kids and helping on the farm. She has always been involved in community groups and church. She worked at the county fair and as an election official on voting days. She has been active in our church and has held many offices, including State President of our denominations women's group. She cooks excellent meals, is a gracious hostess, and gardens. She has a "green thumb" and is known for her flowers and beautiful yard and flower beds. She and Father-in-law sang often, together and individually, for churches, weddings and funerals. She faithfully visited and cared for her aging parents and in-laws in their later years. She tenderly cared for her husband and oldest daughter through their individual cases of cancer and saw them laid to rest a year apart. She never wavered in her duty or her faith. She has always been available to help, with work or grand kids, and is still helping with her great-grand kids.

My Spare Mother served by raising her kids and helping on the farm. She worked as a postmistress. She cooks, bakes and entertains. For years she made cakes for special occasions. She has always been active in her church, and also served on the local school board. Over the years, she faithfully cared for her aging parents, siblings and in-laws. For many years, she also helped care for a couple of elderly neighbor ladies in their home. She had an infant son who died shortly after birth, and a daughter who lived a few years at home in a semi-vegetative state, before passing away, also. She is an active presence in her grand children's lives. Whenever I have an event (graduation, etc.), Spare Mother will call and ask if she can "Gertie" for me. "To Gertie" means to come and manage the kitchen and serving so I can spend time with my guests. Whenever I needed cleaning help over the years, I could call on "The Whirlwind Sisters"--my Mom and my Spare Mom. They have been friends for over 50 years now.

These three mothers have shaped my life. I have watched and absorbed their lessons. They have helped me with homemaking, my marriage, my social life, my emotional life, my spiritual life and my parenting. This is my heritage: quiet strength, steadiness in adversity, calm acceptance, faithfulness, and unflagging service. I hope that my life can reflect theirs and honor the way they have given themselves to this world in service to their families, communities and God. I am still watching them. I pray that I have many more years to learn from each of them.

Thanks for everything Mom, Mother and Spare Mom. You mean more to me than I can tell you. Happy Mothers Day. I love you.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what an inspiring post! The true beauty ad service of these women is so inspiring to me, thanks, Jannell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have learned well from these amazing Mothers Jannell. You have all these same qualities and are an inspiration to me. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have been great. I am so blessed, and also totally blessed with excellent friends. Thank you for being my great friend for all these years. I love you.

    ReplyDelete