Friday, October 23, 2009

Printmaking




We explored printmaking in my art classes today. It was a hit. It went very well for such a potentially messy, complicated project. My inspiration for this project came from research for Mrs. Daly's meteorology class, which Daughter L. takes. I found some great printing illustrations in the book Wild About Weather by Ed Brotak .

My goals were to teach the kids a little about printmaking, and to use materials that were inexpensive and accessible to everyone. I like to try to give the kids many art experiences, and give them ideas that they can take home and try themselves on other projects.

Printmaking can be a little daunting in a group, but this project worked really well with my two classes of 7 and 12 kids. Here is the process:

We used:
plastic foam plates
acrylic paints
foam brushes
pencils , paper

I pre-trimmed off the plate edges to make a flat surface. We used a weather theme (a few kids went to seasons.) I only offered three color choices for paint, positioned near the sink with layers of newspapers for neatness. I did not allow them to mix paint, for simplicity and control. The kids made sure they pushed up their sleeves and they wore paint shirts. Acrylic paint can be washed up or out of clothes while still wet, but is pretty permanent when dry, so care should be taken. We used the inexpensive acrylic paints that go for under a dollar a bottle. I did thin the paint a bit with water on the plates to get the right thickness for printing.

We talked about printing terms and methods before starting. I did not go into much detail, but did introduce them to plates, brayers, screen painting, wood block printing, lino printing, mono printing and etched plates.

The kids "etched" their designs onto the plates with pencils. I instructed them to keep their designs simple. When each one was ready, they came to the printing stations and I showed them how to "ink" the plates with paint. We laid the plate down and then brushed the paint all over from the center to the outside edge. The "inked" plate was moved to a clean spot on the newspaper and the paper was placed on top and rubbed with a flat hand to make the print. Be careful to lay, rub and lift the paper without shifting.

I had them put their names on their papers, and lay their prints on the floor to dry. The etched plates can be rinsed and reused for more prints. I let them each make two plates and as many prints as they wished and had time for. The 6th graders were able to do it pretty independently after they got going. The 4th/5th class did fine too, but it was harder with the larger class.

These are a few examples. I think they did well.

*Note* While practicing techniques for this project, I did try using washable markers to "ink" the plates. It does work, if you use darker colors printed on white paper. Lighter prints, but less potential mess. You must do it quickly with the side of the pen, or the ink will dry before you can print. If it does dry, you can "huff" on it with your breath, or print it on slightly wet paper to pick up the ink. (Wipe paper surface lightly with a dampish sponge.)

1 comment: