Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fruit and Nuts



The peaches are starting! I like to have fruit and nuts for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Walnuts with apples or peaches, or almonds with strawberries or peaches. Blending the sugars and carbs of the fruit with the protien of the nuts gives you a boost without the blood sugar drop later. When we were kids, Mom would cut up fresh fruit and sprinkle sugar over it. After it sat a bit, a lovely syrup would form. When I was a young mother, and trying hard to do the "right thing" for my kids, I did not think it was "right" to add sugar to fruit. They should learn to eat it without! Now I have loosened up a bit, and think a few tablespoons of sugar will make the fruit more of a dessert/snack substitute in our everyday diet. Yum! (Amount of sugar in this picture is enhanced for photography!) Try out your own fruit/nut combinations for a great healthy snack, dessert or salad.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, a little sugar goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I was beginning to think it didn't work any more!!! : )

    ReplyDelete