Thursday, September 8, 2011

Birthday Blanket

W. wanted a new blanket for her birthday, and one day while I was in Hobby Lobby, I saw this great material on clearance. I bought some sale ribbon to match and made her this cute blanket for her birthday.

Because the width of the fabric was a bit longer than the length of the ribbon, I decided to gather the blanket a few inches above the top and bottom edges and sew the ribbon on this seam. I like the girly, ruffly look. To make it even more girly and ruffly, I scalloped the top and bottom edge.

I used three pages of taped-together notebook paper and a small bowl to make a ruffle pattern to cut the edges. Do this cutting before you gather the blanket. I had some trouble sewing the ribbon on neatly, since I had ribbon on both sides on the blanket. I found that if I lined up the middle of the ribbon with the gathering seam and pinned all three layers together every inch or so, it sewed together much more neatly. I used pink ribbon on one side and blue on the other. I think these blankets would make cute gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment