Sunday, January 8, 2012

Repurposed Wool Slipper Moccasins


 I have been making wool slippers out of recycled, felted wool sweaters. These are the first ones I made. Had to do a practice set. I used this pattern from Martha Stewart's web site. They are like Indian moccasins, and I love the design. The pattern is only one piece. Very simple and beautiful. I altered them a bit. Martha has you sew them and turn them inside out, but I did not like the seam on the inside. I have added embroidery and beading for fun.


Then I made these for the three girls at home. I am starting on A's now and will probably post them later. The grey pair with the fringe are W's. The sweater it came from  had a wrap style across the chest. I cut the pattern to use it and trimmed it into a fringe. The green pair are for M. and the last grey pair with the blue beads are L's. I like the way they look a little Native American. These have been fun. Until I made these, I never realized how much more "toasty" real wool is than other materials. To care for them: wash in cold water and lay flat to dry.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love the idea! So, you find 100% wool sweaters in thrifts shops? Do you line them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, found at thrift shops, and then you have to felt them-(basically wash and dry in HOT water and air so they shrink and bind themselves into felt.-Google it.) No, I have not lined them, but it would be easy. Wash in cool water, lay flat to dry.

    ReplyDelete