Thursday, November 14, 2013

Birthday, Who?


 We had a lovely lunch out Sunday after church to celebrate Daughter A's TWENTY-FIFTH birthday. Oh my! From l., W., Bret, L. Lyndsay, M. MacK, A.

Sat. night we enjoyed celebrating with our friends C. and S. for their SWEET16 birthday party and dance. They had a Dr. Who theme, and I helped make and decorate the sheet cake. I know so little about Dr. Who (BBC television show) but did learn that this Smurf blue police call box is a time machine.

For those interested in the construction of the cake, this is what I did. I bought blue cake mix and used one and on half boxes for the sheet pan (about 12" x 15" x 1" deep.) Make the rest of the batter into cupcakes. I bought blue frosting in the can and used the color pack from the second cake mix to color two cans of frosting a darker color. The canned frosting was too aqua and not "Smurfy" enough. The second cake mix stayed white and 1/2 box was swirled into the blue mix of the pan and the other 1/2 went into cupcakes with a drop of blue food coloring swirled into each of them with a toothpick. There was plenty of frosting for both the cake and cupcakes with some left over. The words at the top of the cake were found in a picture on-line, copied to my pictures on the computer, cropped and printed out to the desired size. I ironed freezer paper onto the back of it so the moisture would not seep through the paper. It worked pretty well. The windows are just waxed paper with Sharpie-markered blue lines for the panes. The lines of the doors were etched into the frosting with a toothpick. The door handles began their life as the sealing foil from the frosting cans. At first I was just going to put rectangular shapes as the handles, but decided to cut them so they looked curvy. I accidently bent the center of one while cutting and wha la! Cool handles! Basically just cut capital "I" shapes to size and curve the skinny center part. I love it when a plan comes together!

No comments:

Post a Comment