Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Classic Jeans Purses

This is a classic sewing project that was HOT when I was a girl. My 10-year-old and friends enjoyed this project today for her birthday.




I started with kids' jean shorts or skirts from Goodwill. The skirts were much easier to sew up than the shorts, so next time I'd only look for skirts. I liked the sizes around size 5. We got one that was a bigger size, and it was not as attractive. Kids clothes at our Goodwill are $1.80 each. The skirts were simple to turn inside out and sew the bottom closed.


I used old jean legs to make straps for handles. I made them appx. 3 " wide and 30 " long and folded them in thirds, then zig zagged along the seam, so I did not have to turn them inside out. : ) Sew firmly to the inside of the waistband on each side.


When the girls got here, they each chose a purse, and then chose a ribbon or old tie to tie around the belt loops. We had acrylic paint, beads, and buttons that could be added. (You can add textile medium if desired-sold near the acrylic paint bottles in craft or other stores. Directions on the bottle.) We used stamps and paintbrushes to decorate. After drying we sewed on the beads and/or buttons. I did not iron on the paint to set it, since these would not be washed too often, but it's never a bad idea to do that, if you have time. (I did not have time!)


Picture : #1-stamping with acrylic paints, #2/3-undecorated purses, #4/5-finished purses

1 comment:

  1. Jannell, I love your creativity! The purses are wonderful, the girls look like they had a fantastic time and Mac did an awesome cake!! Thanks for sharing. Karen

    ReplyDelete