Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Little Distracted

"You seem to be distracted today. Where are you?" Someone asked me this in church last Sunday.

I am with two sister-in-laws in their hospitals.

In the last 4 days, two of my beloved sister-in-laws entered the hospital in separate cities, on the same day. One had a heart attack, tests, and two stents inserted into a fully blocked artery. She is 50. The other became violently ill after a bug bite and entered the hospital and has had three surgeries and fluid on the lungs due to a raging Strep A Necrotizing Fasciitis (so-called "flesh eating") infection. She has been on a ventilator in critical condition in ICU. We are beginning to see slight improvement. She is 43 with a 5-year-old daughter and husband.

This is in additon to my regular life. I have three adult children-one married, one in the throes of divorce and one at school. I have a teenager, pre-teen and six-year-old at home. I have a full time job as an educator, a full time job as a parent and a full time job as a wife (although I recieve much more than I am able to give in that job!) I am in charge of preparing 3 meals a day, running the house and a child with a chronic medical condition (generally minor, potentially major) that requires daily monitoring, (for the last three-four years.) We are considering the pros and cons of surgery for this condition. I have parents and in-laws with aging issues. Did I mention menopause?????

And yet, I am one of the most blessed people I know. This is a charmed life I live. I have more than I need or deserve. But, I guess I must remember that it is OK to sometimes to be a little distracted. Perhaps a little distraction might even be considered normal? I sure hope so.

1 comment:

  1. I've just been reading your blog. We've been praying for the sisters-in-law. Hope they will be ok.

    Love,
    Beth
    via e-mail

    ReplyDelete