Saturday, July 14, 2012

Crochet Blankets


I made another of the quick 'n' cushy blankets for our nieces wedding present. She likes green, so that's what I made. That Homespun yarn doubled makes such a great feeling blanket in a luxurious weight. For this green one I used one strand each of "Prairie" and "Apple Green" yarns.

I made a tiny version as a baby lovie blanket for great nephew Wesley. I used one skein of  Baby Blue Bernat Pipsqueak yarn and the huge crochet hook.Using only one strand of yarn for this one because it is so fuzzy, I chained about 25-30 stitches, added one more, turned and single crocheted to each end, turning and going back and forth to each end until it was pretty square and the skein of yarn was mostly gone. I ran ribbon through all four sides and left tags on the ends for little fingers to feel. I tacked the ribbon at the corners where the yarn intersected, then rolled under and tacked the ribbon ends so they did not fray.



This sherbet blanket was made with the quick 'n' cushy blanket pattern, but I used all thrifted yarn when making it. I used at least two yarns at a time when crocheting it, and sometimes up to four yarns. I had some skinny baby yarns and some really bright regular acrylic yarn to use up. There was even a small ball of fuzzy hot pink yarn that I ran through it. I liked how it all blended. When done, I ran a variety of colored ribbon randomly through the blanket. This one does not have a home yet.


This blue and white blanket used the same pattern and large crochet hook, but I used a variety of thrifted blue yarn combined with cushy white yarns to make it. I pulled out lengths of yarn from a variety of blues and tied them together, then rolled them into a large ball. I combined the blue yarn with white cushy yarn-whatever I could find for a good price at the store. I did each new skein of white yarn until it was gone. When I got done, there was still some blue yarn on the yarn ball, so I went around the edge in a ruffle a couple of times to finish it and use up the end of the yarn.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment