Monday, October 1, 2012

We Have an Anchor

I had the children's sermon again this week. Our pastor is gone and we have laity filling in. Friend Brenda had the sermon on "An Anchor for the Storm." Her texts were Act 27:13-20, 27-29, and Hebrews 6:13-19. I looked up anchors and saw a story in the way they are drawn. Kids always like to learn how to draw things. To start we talked about how you want the right anchor if you are sailing. You may not need a great anchor if the weather is good, but if the storms come, you need the best anchor there is. We talked about how Jesus is our anchor in the storms of life. I quoted the old song, "We Have an Anchor."

We have an anchor that keeps the soul
 Steadfast and sure while the billows roll,
 Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
 Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
 
I took a permanent marker and told them I was going to show them how to draw an anchor. First I drew a cross on each child's hand. (You could let the kids draw on small pieces of paper if you don't want to write on them. I knew all my kids, so I knew it would be OK to write on them!) The cross tells us that Jesus is the one with the power to help us through life. Then I drew three circles at the top three points of the cross. These three circles remind us of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit who are always with us in every situation in our life. Next I talked about the verse that tells us that "His banner over me is love." (Song of Solomon 2:4.) I told them the banner was a covering and that the next thing we were going to draw was like an upside down umbrella that covers us in a rainstorm. This would remind us of God's hands that are cupped over us and protect us with love. The last thing I drew on them was two little arrows at the end of the upside down umbrella. These arrows point "up" to remind us that our help comes from above. A lesson in an anchor!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment