Saturday, September 15, 2012

Write It on Your Heart

Recently I did a children's sermon on this text: I Kings 12: 1-15 about the Kingdom of Israel splitting after Solomon's death. How do you do a children's sermon on that???? Eventually, with the help of references, I hit on an approach. I decided to talk about leaders using God's wisdom to rule, and how all wisdom is from God. Solomon was the wisest man in the world, but he turned from God at the end of his life and lost his kingdom. Then his son Rehoboam made unwise decisions and lost the kingdom for good.

So how do we get wisdom? I used Prov. 3:1 My son, do not forget my law and let your heart keep my commandments, and Prov. 3:5, Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

To illustrate, I made these little folded heart pockets. Inside each one I wrote the theme and dropped in a penny. Each child got a heart. I asked them to hold it closed because there was something in it. We talked about how to be wise and that wisdom comes from God. I referred to the sermon text, and then asked the congregation who their favorite president was. Many said Abraham Lincoln. I had the kids dump out the penny into their hands and look at Lincoln. I told them that most people's favorite president was Abraham Lincoln. Why? Because he was a man who looked to God to help him make wise decisions. Lincoln led the United States at one of our worst times and made some very difficult and wise decisions. I told them to listen to the pastor's sermon and see if  the leader in the story used wisdom and followed God.When they got back to their seats they could unfold their hearts and see what was inside.
To make the hearts, start with a square paper. I used some old Mary Engelbreit daily calendar pages.

Fold it in half and then half again the other way.


Fold the small square into a triangle. Cut a curve along the top.

Open up and refold as necessary to get the heart shape with the front design you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment