Thursday, December 13, 2012

Glitter Owl Ornaments




 

 
I have been looking at ornaments when I am in the stores and sometimes I see ones that spark ideas. I often like the nature themed ones, especially pine cones, (don't know why) and I usually prefer all white designs. I can't remember which ornament it was that started me on this white owl ornament, but I like the result. I made these as part of our teacher gifts. I'm making more for friends/relatives. Wonder how many I can get done in time!?



This ornament is made with old cereal boxes, glue, paint and glitter. I love the cost and the re-using of discardable materials. First, I researched cute owls on Google. After drawing out a few versions of my own, I made a copy of my original and cut it apart into pieces for templates. I was going for a layered 3-D look. After I had all the pieces, I copied each one out onto a sheet of paper so I had a master copy. If you want sturdier templates, you could copy them onto card stock.



I copied the pieces by hand onto the inside of a cereal box. After Iwas sure the first one turned out the way I wanted it, I drew out multiples and made them in an assembly line fashion. This is a great take along craft. I took it to St. Louis and got a bunch copied, cut and glued so I can just paint and glitter them now at home.






Here are some of the first ornaments ready to paint and glitter. I tried a gold one that did not look good. The other two smaller owls at the top were my first two versions that I did not like as well. The pictures of the patterns above are the design for the small owl at left. I found the Round owl design was simpler and quicker to make, and just as attractive. The round owl design was taked from a vintage tea cup of Daughter L's.


I believe this process will be useful for other projects in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment