Saturday, September 26, 2009

More Leaves, Again

(left: sample project) My 4th/5th Class revisited this favorite fall project yesterday. Some of them had done this with me last year, but since they were younger, we did it then with markers for the medium. (See previous post.) This year we dipped into watercolors. Watercolor is condidered one of the most difficult mediums to master, and I think it is also one of the most beautiful and amazing mediums.

Outline pressed leaves (or larger silk leaves) so the leaf shape overlaps some part of each section of the quadrant lines. We outlined the leaf and quadrant lines with crayons. This allowed the students to concentrate on making the color washes flow without worrying about them bleeding together. Each student chose two colors to use, and then chose the crayon color accordingly. Be sure they press firmly on the crayon for good contrast.

Be sure to use watercolor paper if possible, and Prang Paints. When I teach early grades, I usually avoid making a sample project, since they tend to just copy what I did, or feel that their product is not "as good as yours." I remind them that I have had many years to practice drawing, painting, cutting, etc, and since the believe I am SO old, they "get" that.

We practiced mixing colors on the paint tray, and making primary colors richer by adding bits of other colors to them. A bit of orange or red in a yellow mix makes the yellow much richer, etc. We also worked at using light, watery washes instead of heavy, pigmented, thick paint. They turned out quite well. (Below, student work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment