Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tiny Matryoshka Doll Details


I used a variety of details for the Nesting Dolls. I looked up images on Google and put them in my I-pad photo gallery to use for reference. I made several of one style and then looked at the reference pictures for new ideas for the next batch. Gold paint lent an authentic Russian style feeling to them. They were painted with acrylic paint and sprayed with a couple of light coats of shellac when finished.

Dots placed with the back end of a paintbrush were effective and simple decorations.
Flowers provided filler and detail.
Ruffles and dots made edges fine. Some of the dolls had little necklaces and earrings.
Petals framed some of the faces.
Dots in various configurations are used on traditional dolls.
Simple dotted flowers were effective details.
Bright and rich colors looked good with gold or white highlights.
I made a couple with "fuzzy" fur trim and "fuzzy" hand muffs.
Lace shawls and fringe looked authentic.
Various details including hearts, flowers and dotted lace.
I tried to have a heart on every doll, since they were in honor of Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment