Saturday, June 27, 2009

Bible School

Bible School week! I had a busy week teaching 9 first and second graders. Our Bible School is from 9-1 each day. Our theme this week was Good News Clues. Here is a picture of my class with the spy glasses they made to search for Bible clues. Friday our lesson was from Matthew 6:20-21 and Matthew 13:44-45 about storing up treasures in heaven, so we made banks and had a penny and pearl search.

Here is what we did.

I saved salsa jars and spray painted them (with the lids on) in cream. Then I removed the lids and spray painted them gold, to go with the treasure/heaven theme. I used a hammer and wedge to punch a slot in the lids for coins to go through. The ragged back of the slot was very sharp, so I ran a bead of glue from a glue gun over it. This worked great to cover the sharp edges and make it safe for little fingers.

In class the kids painted the jar body with acrylic paints. We used paper plates for paint trays, and I used a favorite trick for paint bibs. Smoothed out plastic grocery bags fastened by the handles around their necks with clothespins are a effective, cheap, readily available paint bib. (See pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment