Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Play Days and Puzzles


Yesterday we hosted a Summer Play Day for our homeschool group. It's a fun, easygoing re-connect time for us when there are no co-op classes over the summer. (Although I'm not sure why we need to re-connect when we see everyone at Summer Singers, drama camp, Shakespeare camp, weddings, graduations, play dates, service projects, etc, etc. over the summer!) We will host several more play dates this summer.

It was a slightly chilly day. As one mom said: just cold enough that the moms needed to huddle around the table with coffee and tea, and just warm enough that the kids disappeared outside all afternoon. We had the usual home school moms' discussion about a range of subjects including ; word etymology (Luddites), library books, fairy wings, Roman and Medieval fashions, blogging, Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, curriculum and home remodeling.

We also touched on the best kinds of puzzles, and I was able to share our collection of Springbok puzzles. These are one of our favorite things.

When we were first married, Husband gave me a "country decorating" themed Springbok puzzle for Christmas. I was not all that thrilled, but thankfully was wise enought to hide my feelings, and be properly grateful. When we became snowed in and enjoyed a couple of snuggly days putting together the puzzle, it quickly became one of my favorite presents.

I had never liked puzzles. I don't like those that one has to sit and stare at for hours to find one piece to fit. Springbok 500 puzzles are not like that. It is easy to find and work a section and move along at a satisfying pace, without it being too easy. I learned that the Springbok 500-piece puzzles (usually found at Hallmark) are beautiful, well-made and fun for early grades to adults. Now whenever I go into a second-hand or thrift store , I peruse the puzzles and occasionally find a Springbok. We have never been disappointed in them.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I started it last night during a game of Settlers and at breakfast time (and into Number Five's piano practice) the girls and I made a big dent into it! Thanks! Looved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great!
    Tell me when you want to trade for another one.

    ReplyDelete