Friday, March 6, 2009

My Father's Loving Eyes

Here is a story about my maternal grandmother's one room schoolhouse. I wrote this for our church's 2006 Advent booklet.

My Father's Loving Eyes

My Grandma M. taught in a one-room schoolhouse on the western prairies of our state. One Christmas holiday when I was about three, our family was at her schoolhouse on the last day before Christmas vacation. The school was having their Christmas party and everyone was excited. Suddenly, the door opened and in walked Santa Claus with a sack over his shoulder! It was a little scary, but exciting!

As my three-year-old eyes followed Santa around the room, I backed in closer to my Mom. "Mommy," I asked, "Why does Santa have my daddy's eyes?" Even in my fear and ignorance, I recognized my loving father's eyes.

Today there is sometimes debate in our churches about the appropriateness of calling God "Father." Some people point out that not all fathers are good fathers, so it is hard for their children to hear God called "Father." That may be true, but I wonder if it could also be true that God called himself Father for just these people. People betrayed by their earthly fathers need a loyal, fair and loving Heavenly Father that can show them what a true father is like. God, the Father , "will never leave them or forsake them," or us.

Our Heavenly Father "gives us good gifts" (Luke 3:11). He sent us His Son so that we could be with Him forever. And when things look a little scary, we can recognize our Father's eyes in the loyalty and care He gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment