Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ukranian Eggs




Here are a few examples of the Ukranian Eggs I have made. I was counting up, (I try to take pictures of all of the eggs I do) and figure I have made around 100 since I started in 2004. (Click on a picture for larger detail.) I like to make eggs as gifts for friends and family, especially around holidays.

The Easter series in the second picture were some I did in 2007. The larger blue flowered egg at the top of the first picture is a goose egg. Most of the rest are duck eggs. (We are fortunate that our cousins keep birds on their farm. ) The center blue one is one of the first eggs I ever made. I designed the pattern, too. I still like it a lot. As you can see, I do many non-traditional designs. The sunflower is adapted from a children's book, and the lowest black one's pattern comes from a dress I used to own.

The Ukrainian tradition states that as long as Pysanky are made, good will continue to overcome evil in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment